April 18 2018
2) Reading of previous minutes
3) Treasurers Report
1. Paypal button active on website for new members
4) Committee Reports
A) Data Access Report: - Sarah Arpin
- review request spreadsheet
B) Database Committee- Kalnitz
1. Cave reporter App Still being used to report caves
- Approx 40 since January
- Most in Jackson COunty
C) Data Archives - Arpin
D) Emergency Response committee - Keltner
1. New esri product may make this easier
E) Membership Committee – Vanderhoff
1. New committee chartered to help with communications with members
2. New Member mailing. Any update on this?
3. Next Steps
4. 25 new members
5) Old Business:
A) KSS grotto Presentation – Currens
- No Update
B) Newsletter update – Brewer
- All newsletters sent out
- VERY successful
- 25 new members primarily due to this
- Will be a hard act to follow next year. Start thinking about maps and articles
- Did not send to non-member county coordinators, but many DID join
C) ESRI Update – Kalnitz
- Much work done with Esri over caving trip in Mexico
- Grant given by ESRI conservation group!
* Need to vote 200$ per year for organization costs (note this is an 80% reduction from even the non-profit status
- Chartered a KSS organization with ArcGIS access for county coordinators
- Current org has 5 level 2 licenses, and 10 Level 1
- HJK will start working with board to set up organization and sending out to board and county coorodinators
D) Safeguard data/ Security- Elrond
- No Updates
E) Update on Survey initiative weekends – Brewer
- DO we have any update on Breckenridge Survey initiative?
Next Survey initiative in June?
f) Arch Database Data sharing – Morris
G) Request from Kentucky Nature Preserves Committee
- New input. Need to set up meeting with this group as it may help preserve caves
- Still many questions to work out HJK will follow up in May and return to Board
6) New Business:
We were approached for a grant from a Kentucky Student for a grant to study cave biology in Nassau. We turned him down, and suggested other places to look for grants.
However, should we formalize a grant process for small grants?
Should the focus of study be karst and caves in Kentucky or region?
B) We should have a write up about the Emergency System
There will be a cave rescue seminar at Great Saltpeter Cave in Rockcastle on April 21-22. We should have a brief write up to share about KSS rescue committee and interfaces to the Kentucky state wide emergency network